Many patients are now reaching out to BHRT for weight loss as it’s one of the most common and safe treatment options for both men and women. Understanding what BHRT is and how hormone replacement therapy works will help you in your weight loss journey. Here’s what you need to know.
What is BHRT?
BHRT is a type of hormone replacement therapy used to treat symptoms associated with hormone imbalance. Bioidentical hormones are man-made hormones similar to those produced by the body. The most common hormones made and used for replacement therapy are estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone mix.
Men and women use these hormones to relieve the symptoms of menopausal, cancer treatments, and/or issues related to hormone imbalance. Bioidentical hormones come in patches, pills, creams, gels, shots, and implanted pellets.
Hormones and Body Weight
If you struggle with weight issues, especially weight gain, you will know that lifestyle choices, healthy habits, and regular exercise affect your weight. However, as you get older losing weight becomes much harder. This happens because as we age, our ability to metabolize food for fuel decreases.
With the body producing less amount of the hormones it needs and slowly losing the ability to regulate some physiological processes like metabolism, it directly affects your body’s ability to lose weight.
Can BHRT Help With Weight Loss?
Generally, your ability to lose weight can be affected by hormone imbalance. Medical experts recommend hormone replacement therapy that uses bioidentical hormones to replenish hormones and regulate body metabolism.
Bioidentical hormones are preferred because they are molecularly identical to those produced by your body. Studies show that when bioidentical hormones are used correctly, they cause very few side effects making it a safer option for hormone replacement therapy.
Men and women with a hormone imbalance may need hormone therapy for weight loss. The right BHRT treatment will help get your hormones back on track and ensure a more sustainable weight loss journey.
Bioidentical hormones are given in many forms, including pills, gels, patches, shots, and pellets. Depending on your symptoms and the risks involved, your healthcare provider will recommend a method that is most suitable for you.
The Role of Hormones in Weight Loss
Understanding the role hormones play in your body and how bioidentical hormones affect your body regulating your weight will help you choose the best treatment option.
When added to a healthy diet and proper exercise, these hormones can help you lose those extra unwanted pounds. These hormones include:
- Sex hormones: Testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone are sex hormones produced by both men and women that regulate weight. Testosterone found in men breaks down fat stored, especially in the abdomen. Estrogen helps with women’s appetite and cravings. And progesterone aids in converting fat stored in the body into energy. When these hormone levels become low or unbalanced, weight management becomes hard, hence weight gain or loss.
- Growth Hormone: Human growth hormones (HGH) play the main role in the human body’s growth. Height, muscle, and bone growth are all influenced by this hormone. HGH helps regulate fat burning in the body and inhibits the production of body fats.
- Insulin: This is the hormone responsible for carrying glucose to the cells. It also aids in regulating fat metabolism, causing the body’s energy to be released, and maintaining balanced glucose levels.
- Pregnenolone: It is a steroid hormone whose key role is to regulate other hormones, boost metabolism, increase energy, and improve mood.
Signs That You Need BHRT
The most common and obvious sign that you are experiencing a hormone imbalance is an unexplainable weight gain. If you are eating right, have reduced stress levels, and exercise regularly, but the scales still refuse to budge, it is a sign that your hormones are imbalanced and are affecting your weight maintenance.
Other uncomfortable symptoms that are accompanied by weight gain include:
- Fatigue. You find that it is impossible to keep energy levels up and always feel tired and exhausted.
- Losing muscle mass. Muscles are smaller, weaker, and you don’t exert the same endurance as when previously working out.
- Muscle weakness. You are not as strong as you used to be. Simple tasks like opening a jar, long-distance walks are becoming harder.
- Sleep issues. You find it difficult to fall asleep, and when you do, you don’t feel rested.
- Mood swings. You are easily irritable, your feelings change quickly, and it is challenging to keep up with your emotions.
Why You Should Consider BHRT
Receiving customized bioidentical hormone replacement therapy identifies the root cause of the hormone imbalance, which leads to better treatment of your symptoms. Benefits of BHRT include:
- Assisting in weight loss by replacing the sex hormones which are low in the body.
- Lowers the risks of osteoporosis, heart disease, side effects associated with menopause symptoms, and other hormone imbalance issues.
- Restores the energy in your body by increasing muscle mass and strong bones.
- Improves overall quality of life.
- Boosts libido and improves sex life.
Every case is unique from one another. Assess your needs with a professional healthcare provider, and they will create an individual plan to help restore your hormone imbalance.
What to Expect After BHRT
After you have started your BHRT treatment, you will start feeling better as it improves mental and physical health. However, it should be noted that every person is unique. That is why Nava Health creates customized treatment plans based on your individual needs.
How Long Does It Take for BHRT to Work?
How long treatment takes will depend on how long you have been having hormone imbalance issues and the treatment method used. What you do and eat during and after the therapy will also influence the results you get. Generally, it is recommended that you pursue a lifestyle that supports your form of BHRT treatment. Practice managing your stress levels, regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and balance in your life. Most of all, consistency matters. Be patient. You are on the road to recovery and will get there in time.
Side Effects of BHRT
Some people may experience side effects when undergoing BHRT treatment. Some common side effects include:
- Breast swelling
Nava Health is Here for You!
Talk with one of our specialists, and they will go through your symptoms. We will take the time to get to know you, find the root cause of the issue, and customize the right formula to restore hormone balance.
Schedule your appointment with Nava Health today. We will work with you to help you live your most vibrant, healthy life and get you feeling great again!