Living with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) presents unique challenges, especially when it comes to your weight management. This guide aims to answer the question of how to lose weight with PCOS by looking at:
- What PCOS is and its impact on weight
- Lifestyle adjustments
PCOS and Its Impact on Weight
PCOS is a disorder prevalent among women of reproductive age and is characterized by the following:
- Elevated androgens: These often lead to symptoms such as acne and hirsutism.
- Insulin resistance: A common feature that contributes to weight gain and metabolic issues.
- Inflammation: Chronic low-grade inflammation that can also affect and .
The exact causes of PCOS are complex and multifaceted:
- You may have a to it.
- Your insulin resistance may have led to elevated insulin and androgen levels.
- might have stimulated polycystic ovaries to produce androgens.
- Lifestyle factors: It might be your diet, level of physical activity, or stress, because all of these can influence PCOS symptoms.
How PCOS shows up can vary, but among common symptoms you’ll often find:
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Multiple cysts on the outside of the ovaries (visible to an ultrasound scan)
- Excess hair growth (hirsutism)
- Acne and oily skin
- Scalp hair thinning
- Difficulty losing weight
- Weight gain, particularly around the abdomen (commonly referred to as ‘ )
These last two are what can cause you to ask how to lose weight with PCOS!
Because of this complex scenario of causes and symptoms, managing PCOS requires more than just superficial changes.
However, a deep dive into functional nutrition reveals how altering what we eat can significantly influence the symptoms and challenges of PCOS. Weight loss and functional nutrition go hand in hand. So, let’s look at that now.
via Functional Nutrition
Functional nutrition is crucial in managing PCOS – and working with clinical nutritionists can be invaluable. They can provide personalized dietary recommendations that specifically target theseen in PCOS.
This individualized medically guided weight loss ensures that your nutritional strategy is effective, sustainable, and suited to your unique needs.
How to lose weight with PCOS through functional nutrition simply means consuming foods that reduce androgens in females and alleviate symptoms. These include:
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Foods like fish, flaxseeds, and walnuts are rich in omega-3s, which combat inflammation and help improve insulin sensitivity.
- High-fiber foods: Vegetables, legumes, and whole grains help slow down glucose absorption – preventing those insulin spikes that can exacerbate your PCOS symptoms. Fiber also aids in digestion and maintaining a .
- Antioxidant-rich foods: Berries, green tea, and dark chocolate are packed with antioxidants that reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body, improving hormonal balance.
- Lean proteins: Protein sources like chicken, fish, and tofu provide essential nutrients without excess calories or harmful fats.
- Low-glycemic fruits: Fruits such as apples, berries, and pears have a lower impact on blood sugar levels, making them ideal for managing insulin resistance.
This approach also involves understanding thebecause they disrupt hormonal balance and aggravate your insulin resistance:
- Processed foods
- High-sugar foods (sodas, candies, baked goods)
- Refined carbohydrates (white bread, pasta, other refined grains)
- High-fat dairy products
- Excessive caffeine
You can see from the above thatis not very different to ensuring you have a healthy diet all the time! But what about intermittent fasting – will that help?
For those exploring, can be an effective tool. Alongside dietary changes, intermittent fasting is another innovative approach gaining attention for its effectiveness in managing PCOS. This involves alternating periods of eating with periods of fasting, which can improve insulin sensitivity and .
Let’s look at some possibilities:
- Fasting schedules: Common methods include the 16/8 method (fasting for 16 hours, eating during an 8-hour window) or the 5:2 approach (eating normally for 5 days, reducing calorie intake for 2 non-consecutive days).
- Adapting to lifestyle: To avoid overexertion, align your fasting schedules with your routine and listen to your body’s hunger cues.
Yourwill help you understand whether this kind of regime is right for you. They take an approach to your health and consider all your and what is a sustainable target weight for you.
Some lifestyle modifications are also beneficial in supporting your weight loss journey.
Lifestyle Modifications for
Exercise: A Vital Component
Regular exercise is invaluable in managing PCOS. It not only aids in weight loss but also improves. A combination of aerobic exercises (like walking or cycling) and resistance training (like weight lifting) is particularly effective.
For some women, exercise also helps to regulate periods when they have.
Stress can profoundly impact hormonal balance and weight.through practices like yoga, deep breathing exercises, mindfulness meditation, or engaging in hobbies can significantly lower stress levels, thereby positively affecting your .
Sleep Improvement Tips
Establishing a consistent sleep schedule, creating a restful environment, and avoiding stimulants like caffeine close to bedtime can enhance your sleep quality. Good sleep is essential forregulation and weight management, with or without PCOS.
Beyond nutrition, eating patterns, and lifestyle changes, addressing PCOS’s NavaRX program.aspects is crucial. In the context of how to lose weight with PCOS, you should consider integrating into your treatment plan, such as via our
NavaRX represents a modern approach to weight management with PCOS, combiningwith a customized plan. The program includes a weekly to enhance feelings of fullness and improve blood sugar control. is proven to help you lose weight alongside changes in nutrition and lifestyle.
However, what makesa game-changer in the treatment of PCOS-related weight issues is its dual action.
Not only does it aid in reducing calorie intake by controlling your appetite, but it also positively influences how your body processes insulin. This makes it effective for both weight loss and metabolic regulation – two key challenges in PCOS management.
Suppose, for example, you’re wondering how to get rid of PCOS belly orfast. The answer is still a combination of personalized nutrition, , and lifestyle adjustments. NavaRX has you covered!
Nava Can Help You Lose Weight When You Have
At Nava Health, we understand that your experience with PCOS is unique and your struggles to keep the weight off are also unique.
If you’re ready for a personalized, schedule an appointment with us today and let’s talk?, and functional approach to , why not
A Medical Director, and one of the first physicians to join the Nava Health & Vitality Center, Dr. Douglas Lord has made significant contributions to our Center and its founding principles. Dr. Lord has helped develop and implement the Nava Method™—Nava’s proprietary approach to total body wellness. He has also been instrumental in liaising with other expert practitioners to successfully implement Nava’s range of therapies, treatments, and products.