March 23, 2023
9 Ways To Survive Allergy Season
Now that it’s officially spring and getting warmer, seasonal allergies are starting to flare up for many. If you are new to allergy suffering, you are not alone. “Outdoor allergies are certainly becoming more prevalent,” says experts from Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
You are not doomed to endure under the fog of over-the-counter medication; plenty of natural remedies and therapeutic techniques can help us cope and find relief without OTC medications.
Here are nine ways to prepare for and survive allergy season:
- Check out your local farmers market, farm stand, or anywhere you might find local honey and bee products. Local bee products will contain pollen from the plants that may be causing issues. Using these products can slowly wear down your allergy!
- A daily teaspoon of local bee pollen will work similarly to allergy shots, provided you are allergic to the plants in your area. Some people can’t take it on an empty stomach, so it’s best to include it with meals.
- Local RAW honey is best, as it has mixed pollen and propolis. Propolis is often used to help regular your immune system functions. I recommend one tablespoon a day, eaten cold.
- Use a neti pot daily. Nasal irrigation cleans allergens out of the sinuses. You can buy a neti pot online. They also sell salt solutions, or you can Google a recipe. It usually contains salt and baking soda.
- Wash and rinse your face several times daily, especially after being outdoors or near allergens. Rinse your eyes as well! Mucous membranes hold allergens but can be rinsed off.
- Eat natural foods that have natural anti-inflammatory properties. Pineapple contains a compound called bromelain, which helps reduce swelling in muscles and the sinuses.
- Acupuncture has been shown to help! If you choose acupuncture as a treatment, make sure you go to a licensed acupuncturist who uses an integrative approach to incorporate other therapies that can also help, like those at Nava.
- Try herbs. There are several western herbs and supplements. However, it’s best to consult an expert before trying these out, as not all supplements are equal.
- Acupressure can help as well! Read more about how Acupressure specifically can help with allergy relief and treatment.
Contact Nava to learn more about how we can help today.